Re: kernel-image-2.6.7

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004, Kars de Jong wrote:
> >From the log:
> Aug 23 00:05:04 a2000 kernel: Warning: unable to open an initial console.
>
> Because you specified 'debug=mem' on the command line, you also need to
> specify 'console=tty0' or you won't get a console. At least, that's what
> Geert said on the 10th of August, plus he also asked you to try it with
> that last friday :-P
>
> It does seem a little strange. This never used to be needed with older
> kernels. Perhaps some extra flag needs to be set in the debug console
> struct to prevent this from being the 'default' console or something?

I'm not 100% when that started to happen. I _think_ since debug= uses struct
console. But that would include even 2.2.10?

Perhaps since the console subsystem started supporting printing to all
registered consoles?

Alternatively, we can add a test to console open to walk the list of registered
consoles, until an open doesn't fail. Should actually be fairly trivial, since
the debug= consoles don't have device numbers associated to them.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

						Geert

							    -- Linus Torvalds