Re: Debian Sarge Installation Manual

V Út, 03. 08. 2004 v 14:51, Stephen R Marenka píše:
> The ramdisk you're looking at there is used to setup a shmfs root disk
> in ram, populate it, and pivot_root to make it the root. d-i proceeds
> from there.

I could probably do the same manually and make it root by passing
root=/dev/hdx? But what would do the d-i next? Where would it get the
next 12 or so MB of data from?

> for 2.2 kernels don't use shmfs at all, but rather just use the existing
> ramdisk (which ends up being about 13MB, instead of 4).

can I try the 13 MB ramdisk? Is it for download somewhere?

> > ramdisk. I need a way of skipping the ramdisk phase... When the kernel
> > is running there are 64 MB of FastRAM available so it's OK, I just need
> > to get the d-i running without the ramdisk somehow.
>
> So the ramdisk can't be loaded into the 64MB is that correct?

on Atari the kernel is still started from TOS using the bootstrap.prg
(similarly to loadlin.exe). Now there are three conditions:

1) kernel and ramdisk must be in the same contiguous memory (IIUIC)
2) kernel does not run from FastRAM
3) kernel + ramdisk don't fit into 4 MB of ST-RAM

the result is that it doesn't boot. Apart from fixing the bootstrap and
kernel the only way I could do is to avoid the ramdisk altogether, start
the kernel and point its root to a real device. As soon as the kernel
starts it has all the FastRAM available for anything.

> I see the problem now. I wonder if the shmfs file system can be created
> in the 64MB.

It's not a problem where to create the shmfs but rather when. It must be
done *after* the kernel starts since only then the FastRAM is available
for Linux. This low-memory situation basically renders all the ramdisk
tricks unusable.

Seems like puting the energy into fixing the bootstrap or the kernel to
allow ramdisk preloaded in FastRAM would be a better idea. Only if there
were some Atari kernel developers left.

Petr