Re: Debian Sarge Installation Manual

On Tue, Aug 03, 2004 at 03:20:17PM +0200, Petr Stehlik wrote:
> V Út, 03. 08. 2004 v 14:51, Stephen R Marenka pí?e:
> > The ramdisk you're looking at there is used to setup a shmfs root disk
> > in ram, populate it, and pivot_root to make it the root. d-i proceeds
> > from there.
>
> I could probably do the same manually and make it root by passing
> root=/dev/hdx? But what would do the d-i next? Where would it get the
> next 12 or so MB of data from?

RAM (shmfs is a variable-sized ram disk).

> > for 2.2 kernels don't use shmfs at all, but rather just use the existing
> > ramdisk (which ends up being about 13MB, instead of 4).
>
> can I try the 13 MB ramdisk? Is it for download somewhere?

I'd have to build one for atari.

> the result is that it doesn't boot. Apart from fixing the bootstrap and
> kernel the only way I could do is to avoid the ramdisk altogether, start
> the kernel and point its root to a real device. As soon as the kernel
> starts it has all the FastRAM available for anything.

Ok, the shmfs root should be built

> > I see the problem now. I wonder if the shmfs file system can be created
> > in the 64MB.
>
> It's not a problem where to create the shmfs but rather when. It must be
> done *after* the kernel starts since only then the FastRAM is available
> for Linux. This low-memory situation basically renders all the ramdisk
> tricks unusable.

I'm thinking that dumping the (4MB) initrd to harddisk should work.

> Seems like puting the energy into fixing the bootstrap or the kernel to
> allow ramdisk preloaded in FastRAM would be a better idea. Only if there
> were some Atari kernel developers left.

I know some of the debian m68k buildd guys are looking at setting up
some ataris with the CT-60. I think they've been having trouble tracking
down some parts or something. That should bring some more interest, I
should think.

<stephen@marenka.net>