RE: Quadra 950 Floppy Drive

Howdy,

As I understand it the problem with writing a floppy driver is that the chip
was not designed for such things.  So Woz did some awful hacks and wierd logic
in MacOS to make it use the chip as a floppy controller.  So far no one has
been able to work out the magic.

Apple released the chip specs to someone, it might be the NetBSD-mac68k
people.  If Apple still has the MacOS source code they aren't willing to have
someone hunt it down and release it, so there you go.

I check the 68k port archives for a couple of open source OS's every now and
then to see how things are developing, and it looks like the NetBSD people had
gotten a kernel to load into memory booting straight from a floppy, but they
weren't able to get it to boot because of whatever it is that MacOS does at
startup time, and because of space limitations it had to be heavily
compressed...

Looks like reverse-engineering is the only option again...

Lincoln