Re: Compiling kernel.

I had a working Woody up and running with an ide drive (Quadra 630). I just
used the 2.2 kernel. You don't really need the 2.4 kernel. I used the fdisk
program with Linux to format the drive. And I also tried formatting the ide
first with an i386 box. Which also worked. The only catch was I used an
external scsi to bootstrap  the system and I kept getting this annoying
message from the MacOS saying I had an unrecognized drive that needed to be
initialized everytime I had to reboot. Or course, I ignored the message.
What was nice on these systems is that the hard drive access seemed to
faster than the scsi drives.

I guess you could use the MacOS cd to boot the system and partition the
drive. You'll have to find a utility that will format the IDE drive with
different partitions for Mac.

Or just do it with an i386 box and then put it back on your Mac system.  Use
fdisk, or better cfdisk with i386 Linux. Make your partitions: 1 40mb for
MacOS . The rest of the drive for Linux / ,  or extra  partitions for /usr,
/root , /home or whatever.

But then you need to boot back into your mac again and set up the system.
You probably need the network boot disk available from apple's
download.info.apple.com

http://download.info.apple.com/Apple_Support_Area/Apple_Software_Updates/Eng
lish-North_American/Macintosh/Utilities/Network_Access_Disk_7.5.sea.bin

You'll probably also find the the hard drive utilities you need to get you
going in the same general area. I get the impression you want to boot with
your ide drive into MacOS? This is not an easy task. But I believe it can be
done.

(1) You,ll have to repartition your hard drive probably by starting with a
floppy boot , or CD boot and then use a floppy with the necessary software
to partition into multiple Mac partitions on the IDE drive.

(2). Use the Network Install Disk  or 7.xx whatever  to put a basic MacOS
on the first Mac partition. Just format the first partition and copy the
system folder from the Network Install Disk onto your first IDE partition.
Give your self enough room for the macinstall.tgz and a base.tgz whatever.
I'd go  for around 40 MB.

Once you've booted into Linux,  then you can go for using fdisk (which is
really a symlink to macfdisk) to partition only your Linux partitions.

This should get you going. I believe your ide drive should should up as
/dev/hda.  So ............  fdisk /dev/hda should get you started.

Any donations for this free advice can be sent to me. Just email me for
further details on my mailing address. Heh, heh. :)

Hank