newbie questions...

Hi everyone...

I've just completed an install of debian 2.0 (hamm) onto my aging Mac
SE/30.  I've got the base system installed, can login, logout, use the
supplied apps, etc.

I don't know how to install further .deb archives.  This computer doesn't
have a modem or network connection, so I can't PPP directly from the FTP
site (and even if I could, it would be slow-as-hell because the phone
company limits us to 12000 baud... and I only have a 9600 external modem)

I managed to cause a pretty nifty crash by using the "dselect" program.  I
don't think it likes the 6x11 font that Penguin picks.  I haven't tried
dselect with either of the VGA fonts.  Is there a font that makes it happy
on the tiny screen of the SE/30?  I don't mind squinting if I can manage
to install something (like minicom...)

I've tried to search the archives but haven't come up with much WRT this
problem.  Is there any relevant documentation out there?  (Or in here?)
Perhaps I'm on the wrong list?

Right now I have got the .deb files on the Mac partition (same place as
the base2_0.tgz file) but I don't think dselect can go and get it from
there.  I've got a null-modem cable and I could probably stick the SE/30
to my Pentium and transfer over the .deb files that way, but I don't know
how to get Linux to talk to the COM ports on the mac (/dev/ttys0/?)  This
whole operating system is pretty new to me, so bear with me.

Vital statistics of Linux box:  SE/30 w/ 8M RAM, 420M HDD, little else.
Reason:  To familiarize self with Linux before taking the plunge and
installing it onto the Pentium.

Thanks in advance,
-Malcolm