Eagle Linux (Was: Mac Quadra (fwd))

Michael Schmitz <SCHMITZ@LCBVAX.CCHEM.BERKELEY.EDU> writes:

> Hi,
>
> >Eagle has done a Amiga Linux Distribution and calls it m68k and not
> >Amiga, because the linux m68k community wanted it. We try to support
> >other m68k archs as good as we can, but we just have no Mac to test
> >and only one Atari, we got recently. You might think that Eagle wants
> >to rip off innocent Atari and Mac users, but the opposite is the
> >case. Eagle was practically forced to support those archs and we try
> >to do our best to help our users.
>
> If you don't have a Mac to test on, you ought to have stated clearly, in the
> product description and list of supported platforms, that
> a) platforms other than Amiga are only supported as far as there is kernel
> support for them and the general m68k binary compatibility goes, and
> b) your company never actually tried to install and run your product on one
> of these platforms, so you can't promise that it will even install without
> problems.
>
> The product announcement did sound rather like 'everything is supported', and
> you shouldn't be surprised that people have certain expectations in that case.
>
> The demand for a CD distribution on all platforms was pretty obvious, at least
> to me, and I've warned against distributions for only one platform (or those
> that were tested on only one platform) for precisely that reason.

If you had actually read the products description
(http://www.eagle-cp.com/www/m68k.html) you would now that that is
exactly what Eagle Linux claims. The Page is outdated and doesn't
stand to the comming update, but thats the original page for our
product. For those not understanding German I will translate some
quotes:

First the short description:

EAGLE LINUX M68K
- Linux for Motorola 680x0 based Systems
- Complete installation routine for Amiga
- Based on kernel version 2.0.31pre3

and further down:

To enable an easy start Eagle Linux m68k comes coplete with a handbook
and an easy installation routine, which is at the moment Amiga Based,
but also installable under other systems.

> The Linux-m68k community sure wanted something that lives up to the
> promise of the port and works on all platforms, but is that really
> what you can claim you have, with just one Atari as test platform
> outside the Amigas.

We don't clame to have the best[tm] solution for all Platforms. We
don't even claim that our installation routines work on other
platforms since at that time we could only test for Amiga. Now that we
have an Atari to develope on and some users owning macs, which can
test for us, we can actually claim that it will run nicely on such
platforms. With the comming update and the rewriting of the webpages
that will be stated.

> (Part of) the Linux-m68k community has been working on such a
> solution for a long time, spent quite a lot of effort on testing,
> and wasn't amused when your company announced the ultimate
> distribution for Linux-m68k (largely based on their porting
> efforts). I'm even less amused now that I officially learn that your
> company didn't bother to test on anything but Amiga before release.

You mean the announcement Eagle itself made? Thats bogus, had typos
and is not our fault. Eagle is only the Distributer and we can't
controll what they do on their own. We didn't like what they did with
that announce and we told them that.

> >What makes me angry is the attitude of some people that Eagle Linux
> >has nothing to do with Linux m68k or Debian, so anything Goswin says
> >is irrelevant and bogus, especially from people who can't even spell
> >Eagle right, but spell it Egal (was that wordplay I wonder?) and have
> >certainly never seen or tested it. (Nothing against you, just others)

> Your product doesn't state that it is in any way connected to
> Debian, or based on Debian (it 'can use Debian packages', what are
> we to make of that?).  So I'm going by the book here when I say
> 'Eagle isn't Debian'. More so, Debian has evolved further for some
> months, after your CD was released.

Its true that its not stated clearly on the web Page, but its stated
in the handbook. Also the Debian-m68k distribution is left intact and
complete on the CD.

> Sure, on the other hand I'm extremely angry about that claim,
> because it fails to give due credit to Debian on which it was based,
> and still angry at the decision to go ahead ignoring the concerns of
> the Debian developers at that time. But I hadn't expected any
> better, and it's probably better if users don't view your product as
> Debian distribution (my private view, not speaking for Debian,
> solely based on the fact that I can't easily check what's in your
> distribution etc.).

You can check easily, just ask. Mails to Eagle concerning Linux will
be redirected to us.

> I've never claimed _anything_ you say is irrelevant and bogus. I do,

I never said you did. I never told names and I won't.

> however, speak out when you happen to make irrelevant or bogus
> statements, especially on platforms you don't support. That's not
> related to the fact that Eagle isn't Debian (END would be the
> acronym for this I guess :-). I thought you were talking about
> Debian installation here, not Eagle. Case in point: where you
> suggested to dump the ramdisk to disk for the ClassicII user, I've
> not claimed that's nonsense. It might work. But it shouldn't be
> necessary.

The dumping of the ramdisk to a disk is the easiest way to save 2 MB
of ram that is desperatly needed on low-mem systems. With 5 MB thats a
neccessary step to install Debian, unless they decreased ram
consumptions in the last 2-3 month.

> And yes, 'Egal' was a pun intended, for the Germans in the developers team.

Which doesn't help fixing bugs in Debian.

May the Source be with you.
			Mrvn

PS: What sort of feedback do you want from us? You don't want packages
compiled by us and you don't seem to want bugreports concerning Debian.