Dual format DVD burner drive problem

Hello all,

I just joined the list so I hope this is the correct list for this
type of problem.

I just purchased a new dual format DVD burner.  It is an Utmost
Technology unit.  As I understand this drive is distributed by
several manufacturers.  I purchased the first unit on Friday and I
was not able to get it to work correctly so I returned it as
defective for an exchange.  The second drive exhibits the same
behavior as the first.  So two bad drives is less likely, not
impossible though.

The first drive identified itself as "Generic 2.15" and the second
drive identified itself as "Optorite DVD RW DD0203 2.11".  I have
located a firmware update for the DD0203 drive from Optorite and
updated the firmware to 2.30.  Still having the same problems.

I have also been able to confirm that the drive will burn a DVD+RW
correctly under Win98SE using Nero 5.5.10.54.

I use the Linux DVD software tools from Andy Polyakov for the last
two years under Linux.  My current kernel is 2.4.22 since last
August running Slackware 8.1.  System is Intel P-III, 1 GHz and 768
MByte RAM.

I have several DVD+RW drives. A HP dvd300i, and a few HP dvd100i
units.  Most of these are connected through firewire bridges.  This
DD0203 unit is currently installed directly to the IDE bus.  The
growisofs program works well with all of my drives.  I also have
the kernel patch applied to enable the use of sdd directly without
going through growisofs using the raw device.

The burn process will complete without any errors, however, the
resulting disk is not usable.  It can be mounted and a directory
can be read.  But the files will all return seek errors like below.

scsi0: ERROR on channel 0, id 0, lun 0, CDB: Request Sense 00 00 00
40 00
Current sd0b:00: sense key Medium Error
Additional sense indicates No seek complete
 I/O error: dev 0b:00, sector 52996

These errors are typical of the burned DVD+RW from other drives as
well.  The media can be erased and then reused.  I have confirmed
that the media is usable in another drive.  I have also tested with
three different types of media; plain (or no name bulk type), Sony
and HP.  All were burned at 2.4x speed.

I attempted to burn a simple CDR as well on the unit using cdrecord.
It proceeds as normal and completes.  But if I attempt to read the
image back to a file three times in a row, all three files are
different sizes and the process end with an I/O error.  This type
of error is shown below.  The sector reference below keeps
changing, hence the different file size of the output.

scsi0: ERROR on channel 0, id 0, lun 0, CDB: Request Sense 00 00 00
40 00
Info fld=0x2a134, Current sd0b:00: sense key Medium Error
Additional sense indicates No reference position found
 I/O error: dev 0b:00, sector 689360

However, I attempted to read it several times in another drive and
it read OK all three times.  So it appears that the burned CDR can
be read reliably from another drive, just not from the drive that
burned it.

The same test using a pressed silver CD disk, produced no errors and
returned exactly the same file size all three times.  In addition
all three files compared perfectly with each other.

Because the drive burned a DVD+RW disk correctly under Win98SE I am
having a hard time condemning the drive itself.  The query output
of cdrecord is provided below for more information on the unit.

bash-2.05a# cdrecord -v -checkdrive dev=0,0,0
Cdrecord 2.01a15 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2003 Jörg
Schilling
TOC Type: 1 = CD-ROM
scsidev: '0,0,0'
scsibus: 0 target: 0 lun: 0
Linux sg driver version: 3.1.25
Using libscg version 'schily-0.7'
atapi: 1
Device type    : Removable CD-ROM
Version        : 0
Response Format: 1
Vendor_info    : 'OPTORITE'
Identifikation : 'DVD RW DD0203   '
Revision       : '2.30'
Device seems to be: Generic mmc2 DVD-R/DVD-RW.
Current: 0x0000
Profile: 0x001B
Profile: 0x001A
Profile: 0x0014
Profile: 0x0013
Profile: 0x0011
Profile: 0x0010
Profile: 0x000A
Profile: 0x0009
Profile: 0x0008
Profile: 0x0082
Profile: 0x0081
Profile: 0x0080
cdrecord: This version of cdrecord does not include DVD-R/DVD-RW
support code.
cdrecord: If you need DVD-R/DVD-RW support, ask the Author for
cdrecord-ProDVD.
Using generic SCSI-3/mmc   CD-R/CD-RW driver (mmc_cdr).
Driver flags   : MMC SWABAUDIO BURNFREE
Supported modes: TAO PACKET SAO RAW/R96R
Drive buf size : 3317760 = 3240 KB

Perhaps someone on the list has had some experience with this drive
to help determine if it should even work or not.

Thank you for your time and consideration,
James