Need help with Sony DW-U10A

I have a Sony DW-U10A model DVD +/- R/RW drive, which IIRC is simply the OEM
version of the Sony DRU-500A.  Even if not, I have read reports that both the
DRU-500A and the DW-U10A should work in Linux.  I have firmware revision
1.1d.

I am running Linux 2.4.19-xfs on an AMD Athlon CPU and I have 512MB of RAM.
There are 2 IDE hard drives on the first bus and the DVDRW is the only device
on the secondary bus.  I have 32bit mode and DMA both enabled for this drive.

At first I tried using cdrecord-ProDVD, but it failed with the "CHECK STATUS"
message.  It failed with Sony brand DVD-Rs, and Memorex DVD-Rs and Memorex
DVD+RWs.  However it was able to write a few MB to the DVD-Rs (both brands)
before exiting with this error:

cdrecord-prodvd: Input/output error. write_g1: scsi sendcmd: no error
CDB:  2A 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 1F 00
status: 0x2 (CHECK CONDITION)
Sense Bytes: 70 00 05 00 00 00 00 12 00 00 00 00 30 10 00 00
Sense Key: 0x5 Illegal Request, Segment 0
Sense Code: 0x30 Qual 0x10 (medium not formatted) Fru 0x0
Sense flags: Blk 0 (not valid)
cmd finished after 0.005s timeout 100s
write track data: error after 0 bytes
cdrecord-prodvd: A write error occured.
cdrecord-prodvd: Please properly read the error message above.
cdrecord-prodvd: Input/output error. close track/session: scsi sendcmd: no
error
CDB:  5B 01 02 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
status: 0x2 (CHECK CONDITION)

and leaving me with ruined discs.  This happened no matter what type of file I
tried to burn, ISO9660 image or anything else.  I tried several different
times using both DAO and RAW.  Only about 3 times did it even begin writing
to the disc and then top.  Every other time it gave me that error before it
could even start (and left the disc untouched and still usable for later).

I have decided now that I do not wish to use cdrecord-ProDVD because of the
licensing issue.  Sorry Jorg, please do not reply to this and tell me that
all my problems would go away if I used ProDVD and that my firmware/hardware/
kernel is garbage.  I have already made up my mind.

I then tried using the hacked up "dvdrecord" "fork" in the dvdrtools package.
It had exactly the same problems as cdrecord-ProDVD.  I also tried simply
using the patched-cdrecord that reportedly works with the DW-U10A.  It had
the same problems.  It would detect the media, but give me a sense error
before it could write, and if it did write, it would certainly not get very
far before quitting.

I should mention I have tried all of the above using ide-scsi (for
cdrecord-hacked, dvdrecord, and cdrecord-ProDVD) and then using just regular
ATAPI ("dev=ATAPI:0,0,0") on the ProDVD.  This did not appear to change any
results.

I have had the most success with growisofs.  I have successfully written 1
Memorex DVD-R with a 900MB ISO9660 image using growisofs.  It did not have
any problems at all and the disc is mountable and readable just fine.  Two
other times, growisofs has begun the burning, made it to about 30%, and then
quit with what appeared to be the same type of sense error that cdrecord/
dvdrecord had.  The two partial-but-unsuccessful burns were with a 900MB
image, the other time the image was about 2.1GB.

Those are the only three times growisofs has even begun to record.  Every
other time, it won't even start and complains about a sense error.

As for DVD+RWs, growisofs has not yet successfully done a "preformat."  dvd
+rw-format has not either.  growisofs begins, and goes for a few minutes
before stopping with this error:

:-[ LBA=0h, SENSE KEY=5h/ASC=30h/ASCQ=10h ]
:-[ media is not formatted or unsupported ]
:-( write failed: Invalid argument

Using dvd+rw-format with this same type of disc, I get:

* formatting |- [unable to CLOSE SESSION (5h/30h/10h)]: Invalid argument

These same errors happen whether or not I'm using ide-scsi to access the
drive.  I will point out that the one time growisofs successfully burned, I
was NOT using ide-scsi.  But I do not know if this is relevant to the
problem.

This drive has no problems reading any of the good media I already have data
recorded to, and it has no problems while using cdrecord for burning CDRs and
CDRWs or blanking CDRWs.

I have searched around and cannot find any other help, so I turn to you nice
people and ask what do I do to make this drive reliably burn DVDs?  I would
like if at all possible to use the dvd+rw-tools package and growisofs.

Any other information ask me and I will provide.  Every time I've tried to
burn, I have been root and stopped as many other processes as possible to let
the CPU focus on the burning.

For reasons of other patches, updating the kernel is not an option as this
time.  From what I read around here, this doesn't help many people anyway.

Greg