Re: Can I have a real main() ?

I don't know the solution to this at the moment, but I understand just
what the problem is.

I don't know why the library needs a main. That info is probably buried
in the documentation for that library. You might have to rebuild the library.

But, here is what the problem is:

When Windows starts an app that uses the Windows API, it must
have a routine called WinMain to start things going. This is the entry point.
But any C or C++ code will be built with a runtime library. There are
different versions of the runtime library. Those that don't use the Windows
API will be built to start in main() rather than WinMain(). It depends on
which runtime library you use. This is a function of the cygwin envrionment
it looks like you are using. So, somehow or another, the f2c library wants
main(), but not WinMain, but V and Windows wants WinMain().

I'm sure you aren't the first to encounter the problem, but you are the
first I know about to use V with F2c and encounter the problem.

The key is how to fix the startup code. Ideally, there is an F2c support
group that has the answer. There is also likely to be someone on
the cygwin newsgroup that knows how to deal with the main/WinMain
issue. You might have to build a special startup library for Cygwin.
It is not hard, and someone has likely done it  already. Then it wiould
simply be a linking issue. But I can't fix it in V because V needs
the WinMain entry point.