Re: [Q] V GUI for Qt

Vladik wrote:

> Hello,
> is there a plan to have V GUI on Qt?
> wxWindows does not do that (but there is no Qt (or reasonably free Qt)
> for MS windows.
> Because now, if someone decided to use Qt and write for both Unix and Windows,
> without incurring initial license costs, has no choice but to write his own
> GUI framework for portability.
>
> Also, may be it has already been answered, but are there Wizards avaialbe
> in Vgui (like MS wizards with Next button), preprogrammed, ready to use?
>
> Thanks in advance for any info,
> Vladislav

This is really not a simple question...

It takes about 3 months (at least) to get a V port working. It
might be easier with Qt, but I don't know for sure.

Why should there be a Qt port? There already is an Athena,
a LessTif, and a 99% complete gtk port. Why another?

The answer actually may fortell the future of Linux.
(Not our answer, but the fact that we have to have an
answer. Lots of other developers must be having the same
issue.) Linux seems to be splintering. Red Hat is in one
interface camp, which is essentially gtk based. Thus,
GNOME, etc.  The other major camp is based on Qt,
with Caldera the main vendor using the KDE environment.
Very sad, actually.

So, does V try to make everyone happy with both a gtk and
a Qt port? I'm not sure. I don't have the personal resources
to do a Qt port. If someone wants to volunteer, it takes
about 3 months, and V might help to ultimate solution.
--

Bruce E. Wampler, Ph.D.

Author of the V C++ GUI Framework

e-mail: mailto:bruce@objectcentral.com