a V application

The note below describes a software oscilloscope that we use on Linux
and Unixware under X11, and which we make available for unrestricted
use.  This is a largish application that has evolved erratically for
several years.  It's not a good example of software design (not that I
would know) but it is a useful and much used V application and may be
of interest to someone out there.

Martin L. Smith                 martin@ner.com
New England Research, Inc.      802-296-2401
76 Olcott Drive                 802-296-8333 (fax)
White River Jct., VT 05001

Note follows:
I put gagedist-0.9b2.tar.gz on ftp.ner.com under pub.  It should be
accessible via the usual anonymous ftp.

The package has
	(i)   an updated driver (same functionality, just compiles under rh
		  5.1),
	(ii)  a new gage lib (added cslite, nothing else), and
	(iii) softscope, our software oscilloscope.

README is attached.  Note that softscope requires the (freeware) V
interface library and (freeware) Tcl.

If you try to build softscope please let me know how it turns out.  If
it works properly i'll rename the distribution to 1.0.

good luck.

Martin L. Smith                 martin@ner.com
New England Research, Inc.      802-296-2401
76 Olcott Drive                 802-296-8333 (fax)
White River Jct., VT 05001

-------------------- README --------------------
Thu Jul 22 16:28:12 EDT 1999

The code in this package is being made available by New England
Research, Inc, for unrestrained use in the hopes that it will be
useful to someone, as the code of others has been extremely useful to
us.  Part of this code (the gage library) is included with the
permission of Gage Applied Sciences.  Gage has consented to this
release with the proviso that we do not bug them about the code.  If
bug you must, bug me (see below).

	This software comes in two parts.

	The first part consists of the gage driver code (in gage-probe),
the gage library (in gage) and a simple but useful diagnostic
application (in gagediag-app).

	The second part (which requires the first part) builds several
additional libraries and an X-based oscilloscope (in softscope-app)
named softscope.  This application requires Tcl (www.scriptics.com)
and the V interface library (www.objectcentral.com) as well as the
usual X stuff.  I used V 1.21 for the current softscope; an older
version would probably be ok.  All of these items are freeware.

	The code compiles and runs under slackware 3.6.  It compiles under
rh 5.1 but we don't have the hardware to run it on the rh machine.

Part I: gagediag

(1) in this directory

	make gagediag

(There may be a few warnings making the library and the driver.)

(2) install the driver (manually)

On a slackware 2.0.30 machine as root:

	cp gage-probe/gage.o /lib/modules/2.0.30/misc/gage.o

for a single card with the default parameters

	insmod -v gage

for a master/slave pair of 2125s (for example)

   insmod -v gage gage_sport=0x200 gage_nport=14 gage_memseg=0xd000 \
		gage_ssize=1 gage_irq=0

To see if it worked,

	tail /var/log/messages

for the install messages from the driver.  You may have to added read
permissions for 'other' to the log file.

You don't have to provide all the arguments to insmod if the defaults are
ok (and they will almost always be).

Make a device file for each card you plan to use.  The mknod commands
will look like this (which is all you need for a single card):

	mknod -m ugo+rw /dev/gageprobe0 c 61 0

Make sure that the file can be opened by prospective users.  You probably
want
	chmod ugo+rw /dev/gageprobe0 (etc)

(3) run the test program with

	gagediag/gagediag -vvv /dev/gageprobe0 (followed by zero or more slaves)

It should correctly identify and describe the card, including i/o port
range, card type, and memory.
Part II: softscope

(1) Make sure that you have completed Part I and gagediag is sane.

(2) Make sure you have Tcl and V.

(3) Edit Paths.mk as indicated by the comments therein.

(4) Make softscope.

(5) Run softscope-app/softscope.

DOCS:

There are manual pages for the driver, gagediag, softscope, and the
library (very brief).  Print these.

There are postscript files in docs dealing with various classes in the
libraries.  I have omitted library classes which aren't necessary for
softscope.  We're not opposed to releasing them but this package has
gotten big enough as is.  If you see something in the class docs that
you want let me know.

MISCELLANEOUS:

The GageBank object is all we've needed for some applications.
Gagediag is an example of its use.  (GageBank has currently untested
support for dynamic gainranging; don't trust it yet.)

The gagediag program has options to save data in several file formats,
etc and can be used as is for many purposes.  See the man page.

Softscope has been very useful.  In socket mode, it can be completely
controlled by another application by sending tcl commands over the
socket link.

Good luck.