Re: trying to compile V Library for the first time

> Hello,
> I have been trying to compile the V library under Windows 95.  I just =
> downloaded V, and the Mingw32 compiler today and seem to be missing a =
> file.  When I run make to generate the V Library I receive the following =
> output:
>
> rm -f g:/mingw32/v/lib/gnuwin32/libV.a
> process_begin: CreateProcess((null), rm -f g:/mingw32/v/lib/gnuwin32/libV.a, ...
> ) failed.
> make (e=3D2): The system cannot find the file specified.
> G:\MINGW32\BIN\MAKE.EXE: *** [g:/mingw32/v/lib/gnuwin32/libV.a] Error 2
>
> Can anybody tell me what I am doing wrong?  Or what file I am missing =
> and where I can find it?  Any help will be greatly appreciated.

The problem is that the system can't find the 'rm' program to execute -
rm.exe is the file that it was looking for.

You can either find 'rm.exe' (available in the Cygwin user utilities
package and other places) or change the makefile to do a 'del' rather
than 'rm -f' everywhere you find the latter.

The Cygwin utilities are pretty useful if you're going to try to get any
Unixy software to work on Win 95, and even if you install the compiler
there are ways to get it to compile only mingw32 - see Mumit Khan's page
(accessible from the main Cygwin page) for details.

Good luck,
--
    - Don Waugaman (dpw@cs.arizona.edu)    O-             _|_  Will pun
Web Page: http://www.cs.arizona.edu/people/dpw/            |   for food