Re: Advice on how best to structure app with V insterface

Thanks for your very prompt response!
A few follow on quetsions...

From: "Tom Hilinski" <hilinski@lamar.colostate.edu>
Subject: Re: Advice on how best to structure app with V insterface
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 08:07:37 -0600

What you are asking for is not trivial. First, I don't know of V X-Y plotting class (though I have plans to convert a Windows class to V soon). The remainder can be done more easily. Distilling your msg, you want

Triviality isn't too much of an issue, nor (I don't think) is X-Y plotting class - I can do that myself by reading in (say) a results file and then just using basic math to calculate plotting positions using vDC commands, no? It was easy using OWL in a similar fashion and the basic windows drawing commands. I feel confident enough to hack together a crude, amateurish solution that would at least work.

1) communication from model class to GUI class
2) select output variables to view after a simulation

Item 1 requires you to have a global function callable from the model class, which has access to the GUI.

Hmm - I get the general idea but don't see how to actually implement it? I mean, what should I put in this global foo() so that it could pass info from model to gui?

For item 2, if you want a table view, consider using my grid dialog class. You can download the source from http://lamar.colostate.edu/~hilinski/software/v-addons.htm

I am indeed considering using it, but have not yet modified the V source to play with it as per one of you're previous emails, thanks.

I've done most of this with the Century agro-ecosystem model developed at Colorado State Univ. (you can download the model at http://lamar.colostate.edu/~hilinski/software/cmi5.zip)

I'll try to summarize what I've done and post this to the news group soon.

I have downloaded this, and it's a good example of V used in the real world - hearing you're summary of how the GUI-model inetraction was achieved would be a great help for me I believe.

Tom Hilinski

Martin