trying to compile V Library for the first time

Hello,
I have been trying to compile the V library under Windows 95.  I just downloaded V, and the Mingw32 compiler today and seem to be missing a file.  When I run make to generate the V Library I receive the following output:

rm -f g:/mingw32/v/lib/gnuwin32/libV.a
process_begin: CreateProcess((null), rm -f g:/mingw32/v/lib/gnuwin32/libV.a, ...
) failed.
make (e=2): The system cannot find the file specified.
G:\MINGW32\BIN\MAKE.EXE: *** [g:/mingw32/v/lib/gnuwin32/libV.a] Error 2
Can anybody tell me what I am doing wrong?  Or what file I am missing and where I can find it?  Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
Garry Kubel