Re: Resolution 1999-08-03.nl: Guidelines for Equipment and Service Donations

On Thu, Aug 05, 1999 at 05:50:17PM -0700, Christoph Lameter wrote:
> I would expect them at least to pretent that this is an altruistic act and
> agree to a no strings donation. We cannot allow a foreign agenda to
> control the organization.
>
> On Thu, 5 Aug 1999, Ean R . Schuessler wrote:
>
> > I disagree. I don't think that it would be unusual or, for that matter, unfair
> > for a donor to place some constraints on their donation. We must remember that
> > many times these donations will not be of a purely altruistic nature. I can
> > envision many situations where a donor may be giving something to us because
> > they hope that we can do something for them. I think that this may be
> > especially true in the case of large donations.

In that case.. that means we can't allow /. to donate $10,000 to debian.
It has to go to SPI to be divided by to all the various projects under
SPI's umbrella.  That also means all "extra dollars" donated when a CD is
purchased is the same...

That would also mean we turn down any and all donatations that come with
any sort of stipulation...

I would have to say, I'd rather stay open to donations with stipulations.
I don't think we should have a "blanket accept" or "blanket reject" policy,
though.