Re: Bylaws Revision: VOTING[5]

On Thu, Jun 03, 1999 at 05:54:22PM -0400, Nils Lohner wrote:
> VOTING
> ------
>
>  Any contributing member of SPI is eligible to vote.  Non contributing
> members of SPI may not vote.  Each voting member shall have exactly one
> vote.  All ballots shall be open ballots except for any ballot concerning
> the election or removal of
obvious, but text missing.

>  At all meetings, except for the election of officers and directors, all
> votes shall be viva voce, or electronically cast except that for election of
> officers ballots shall be provided and there shall not appear any place on
> such ballot any mark or marking that might tend to indicate the person who
> cast such ballot.
Do we really expect meetings to be viva voce?  And especially elections..
those ballots will have to be mailed and even that might fail.  We can't
use email of any sort.. or pgp/gpg encrypted packages.  The only way of
doing this is in person, everybody puts a piece of paper into a box.

>  At all votes by ballot, the Chairman of such meeting shall immediately
> prior to the commencement of balloting appoint a committee of three who
> shall act as "Inspectors of Election" and who shall at the conclusion of
> such balloting certify in writing to the Chairperson the results.  A
> certified copy shall be physically affixed in the minute book to the minutes
> of that meeting.
>
>  No inspector of election shall be a candidate for office or shall be
> personally interested in the question voted upon.

All said and done, I'd take the approach of the Debian Constitution... "in
a manner prescribed by the Secretary" and let the actual proceedures be a
little more dynamic.