[DRAFT 2] Article 3: Membership

[Second cut.
-Some spelling fixes, changes to 'contrib member requirements'
(simplified, details can go in charter)
- took out the membership time frame (good point, Ean..)- we'll specify
that in the membership committee charter.  I'm trying to make is so the
bylaws only need to be edited in extreme circumstances.

I like it in this form, and unless someone has objections/changes to
voice, would like to leave this and move on to the COMMITTEE section (we
can again discuss this when it's time to move all the articles into the
bylaws...).  I think that working on that section before working on the
voting will give us a better picture of the voting itself as I think the
committees will play a large part in helping run SPI.

--Nils]

MEMBERSHIP
----------

Membership in this organization shall be open to all who meet the approval
of the membership committee.  Members have the right and responsibility of
overseeing the board members, officers, and committees and ensuring that
they operate in accordance with the goals and principles of the
organization.  All board members, officers, and committees are ultimately
responsible to the membership, and should act in accordance with its
wishes.

  Contributing and non-contributing memberships are available within
this organization.  Members agree to support the principles and help
further the goals of this organization.  All membership applications and
renewals will be reviewed by the Membership Committee.  Applicants must
meet the criteria set forth in the charter of the Membership Committee.

Members wishing to leave the organization may do so at any time by
notifying the membership committee of their desire for the membership to
be terminated.

Contributing Members
--------------------

  To become a contributing member the applicant must apply for a
contributing membership and include a list of contributions made to the
free software community.

   The contributing membership will expire as specified in the membership
committee charter.  The member will be notified before the expiration of
the membership and will be asked to send a renewal application with a list
of projects or free software related activities that they have
participated in within the previous membership term.  If the membership is
not renewed, the member status will be downgraded to a non-contributing
member.  To again become a contributing member at a later time, the member
can simply follow the renewal process.

   Board members, by virtue of their office, are automatically granted the
status of contributing members.

Non-contributing Membership

 To become a non contributing member, the applicant must apply for a
non-contributing membership.  This membership will not expire.

--
Nils Lohner                         Software in the Public Interest, Inc.
E-Mail: lohner@spi-inc.org          PO Box 1326