Re: Simplified protocol?

On Thu, Nov 15, 2018 at 06:05:48PM +0000, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 15, 2018 at 04:23:41PM +0100, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> > Actually, nbd-client defaults to 1024, and has done that for a *long*
> > time :-)
>
> Yes this is really annoying because it means that the default is to
> always fail when you loopback mount a partitioned disk image.

That's not been my experience; partitioned devices seemed to always use
the block size of the original device, not of the NBD representation.
However, that was using MBR partitions, never with GPT; perhaps the
difference is there? Alternatively, it's been a while since I last
tested, and it might of course be that the Linux kernel's behaviour has
changed in the mean time.

> The Linux kernel assumes a 1K sector size and computes all partition
> offsets wrongly.  Can we change this?

I could. But my plan was to implement block size negotiations when next
I have time, and then use whatever's negotiated at that level as the
block size that I send to the kernel. For now, it seems better to keep
the defaults that have been around for a long time, rather than change
things twice.

--
To the thief who stole my anti-depressants: I hope you're happy

  -- seen somewhere on the Internet on a photo of a billboard