Re: NBD prefetch read

On Tue, Mar 20, 2018 at 08:22:31PM +0300, Vladimir Sementsov-Ogievskiy wrote:
> 20.03.2018 19:58, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> > > - we initialize two drives A and B in qemu and setup copy-on-read for them.
> > > - client send a sequence of READAHEAD commands, and data is copied from A to
> > > B on read from B, in corresponding sequence.
> > >
> > > So, here B is a cache in terms of the PRE-FETCH command.
> > This sounds very similar to what xNBD does
> > (https://bitbucket.org/hirofuchi/xnbd/wiki/Home). Can you confirm?
> >
> > If so, I suppose it makes sense to add the current behaviour of xNBD to
> > the spec, rather than inventing our own thing.
> >

> Hm, what do you mean on this page? "Scenario 2 (Simple proxy server,
> distributed Copy-on-Write)" ?

Well, I don't necessarily mean the implementation details, so much as
the general concept :-)

You are talking about live migration of storage; that is what xNBD
implements and has in production. Does it not make sense to at least
look at what they're doing, so that we can possibly implement something
compatible?

> It looks similar, but there is no control channel with READAHEAD. The idea
> is no data is send through the control channel.

Eh, NBD has no control channel? I'm not sure what you're talking about
here.

--
Could you people please use IRC like normal people?!?

  -- Amaya Rodrigo Sastre, trying to quiet down the buzz in the DebConf 2008
     Hacklab