modprobe nbd question

Hi everybody,

I am using nbd-client to connect some disks exported by qemu so I can see the disk as a block device.
My problem is that I understand I have to decide how many nbd devices I need at modprobe time, using the nbds_max parameter.
It looks like every device I request al modprobe time is using some memory even if I am never going to use it because I will never need to connect it to a server.

Is there a way to modprobe nbd with 0 devices and add/remove them on demand?

If there is no way at the moment, how difficult would that be to implement?

Do you think there would be any interest for other users to have this flexibility?

Thanks a lot for your time,

cheers,

Stefano