Re: Permission denied exporting whole device

On Wed, Jan 03, 2018 at 07:41:08AM +0100, g wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, den 03.01.2018, 00:21 +0100 schrieb Wouter Verhelst:
> > - Or change your udev configuration to change the group permissions on
> >   the device you want to export so that nbd-server can access it.
>
> That sounds good.
>
> Anyway, as changing udev-rules is relatively uncommon

It's actually the whole reason for udev: having a userspace component that
encodes policy rather than doing it in the kernel allows for easy user
customisation. I recommend you look into it ;-)

> (at least for me), is my
> approach to export whole devices odd?

Not really, it's supposed to be supported, but it may not work by
default (as you've experienced)

> Is an exported file (with it's filesystem, underlying disk-filesystem and
> encryption) fast enough to outpace any nic?

That depends on the speed of your disk, processor, and NIC, and it's
difficult to make accurate general statements.

However, I'll note that there is little performance difference IME
between direct-partition exports and file exports.

--
Could you people please use IRC like normal people?!?

  -- Amaya Rodrigo Sastre, trying to quiet down the buzz in the DebConf 2008
     Hacklab