file system errors?

Hi,

I’m having some issues running NBD on a LAN that seems to have some packet loss.

Clients are mounting a BTRFS volume RW, the server has COW (copy on write) activated, so all changes are going to a diff file.

Sporadically I see clients doing this:

kernel: BTRFS error (device nbd0): bad tree block start 1600888930041856 216154112

kernel: BTRFS error (device nbd0): bad tree block start 1600888930041856 216154112

kernel: BTRFS: error (device nbd0) in btrfs_run_delayed_refs:3009: errno=-5 IO failure

kernel: BTRFS info (device nbd0): forced readonly

Mounting originally like this:

/dev/nbd0  /  btrfs  rw,noatime,discard,compress=lzo  0 0

NBD client and server seem not to have any problems at this point. At least they are not logging anything. From my understanding TCP should take care of transmission problems. I don’t understand why btrfs is complaining. NBD should be reliable here, right?

Is btrfs maybe not the best choice for nbd? Is it possible it has some issues with higher latencies? Is there a best practice file system that is known to work nicely with NBD?

Regards,

Christian

DFS Deutsche Flugsicherung GmbH
Am DFS-Campus
D - 63225 Langen

Tel.: +49-(0)6103-707-0

Sitz der Gesellschaft: Langen/Hessen
Zuständiges Registergericht: AG Offenbach am Main, HRB 34977
Vorsitzende des Aufsichtsrats: Dr. Martina Hinricher
Geschäftsführer: Prof. Klaus-Dieter Scheurle (Vors.), Robert Schickling, Dr. Michael Hann

Internet: http://www.dfs.de
Public-Key der DFS: http://www.dfs.de/dfs/public_key.asc