[Nbd] nbd-client: (no?) way to find out connected hosts

Hi,
I am writing backup scripts around nbd-client currently and ran into
an issue. I would like to be able to determine the remote site of a
given /dev/nbd*. I could probably hack something with pgrep
nbd-client and the corresponding /proc/$pid/cmdlines but I would
definitely prefer a built-in solution that won't explode now and then ;)

Also, it would be nice to be able to call nbd-client so that it uses
the first free /dev/nbd* if any (similar to losetup -f file).