Re: [Nbd] More efficient treatment of experimental protocol extensions

Hi Alex,

On Fri, Apr 15, 2016 at 02:18:37PM +0100, Alex Bligh wrote:
> I've moved out WRITE_ZEROES on my own github account (so
> we can all see what this looks like).

Part of the reason I gave you push access was so you wouldn't have to do
that ;-)

Just push it to my repo. Don't be too afraid to do something stupid;
it's just git, we can always fix that.

> Branch 'separate-extensions' is what would end up in master,
> and proto.md looks like this:
>    https://github.com/abligh/nbd/blob/extension-write-zeroes/doc/proto.md
>
> As you can see there is no mention of anything to do with WRITE_ZEROES
> apart from reserving the bits with a link to the branch with the extension.
> The link doesn't work as it's not on the official github server yet
> (obviously).
>
> Branch 'extension-write-zeroes' carries the extension, which is currently
> a single patch putting the documentation in, plus my code patch for
> a trivial implementation. I would push this to the *branch* on
> the main repo. It obviously isn't yet ready for merge (as I haven't
> tested the code even once), and this would be a precondition of
> merging it to the main repo's master.
>
> You can see the proto.md here:
>    https://github.com/abligh/nbd/blob/extension-write-zeroes/doc/proto.md
>
> As you can see WRITE_ZEREOS appears in it as a normal command etc
> (not an option).
>
> I've given HTTP links rather than a patch as the patch really isn't
> very informative, but obviously I can send that if helpful.
>
> I'm interested in confirmation that this approach works for people.

Sure does.

Detail: might be an idea to retain the "extensions" section, but have it
just be links to the specs and a one- or two-sentence description of
what they entail?

--
< ron> I mean, the main *practical* problem with C++, is there's like a dozen
       people in the world who think they really understand all of its rules,