Re: [Nbd] More efficient treatment of experimental protocol extensions

Wouter,

On 14 Apr 2016, at 16:38, Wouter Verhelst <w@...112...> wrote:

>> My proposal is as follows:
>>
>> * Experimental extensions do not appear in proto.md in master at all
>>  EXCEPT for reservation of codes (e.g. "NBD_OPT_FOOBAR (42) - reserved
>>  for experimental FOOBAR extension").
>>
>> * Experimental extensions themselves live in a git branch. This carries
>>  the wording of the extension as it would be if it were incorporated
>>  in to the main document. Part of the change set removes the
>>  above text and says "NBD_OPT_FOOBAR (42) - see FOOBAR" or descibes
>>  it in place).
>>
>> * The text re NBD_OPT_FOOBAR above has a link in proto.md (in master)
>>  to the relevant branch's proto.md, so you can simply click through
>>  to find it.
>>
>> * Merging (and thus promoting to non-experimental) an extension is
>>  as simple as merging the branches.
>>
>> * The extension branches could then also contain code to implement
>>  the extension on nbd-server.c and nbd-client.c as appropriate.
>>
>> * This means the documentation for an experimental feature and the
>>  code to implement it can be kept together, and can be merged easily.
>>  This should reduce proposed changes to master's proto.md, and
>>  it means resolving conflicts is the job of those writing the
>>  extension (i.e. they need to effectively rebase their patches
>>  on master).
>
> This sounds like a viable approach,

I propose I come up with a patch to move the current experimental
stuff out to a branch then.

As Erik currently is performing open heart surgery on NBD_OPT_INFO
I'll leave it until the patient is in recovery before doing that one.

Structured replies is (famous last words) already in that state.

I haven't paid much attention to WRITE_ZEROES but I think that's
relatively stable too. I'm guessing if we had a server side implementation
of that we could promote it.

> except that currently I'm still the
> only person able to merge patches, which means I get to be a bottleneck
> all the time. Not ideal.
>
> Maybe I should fix that.
>
> Alex: according to github, you've made the second-highest number of
> commits to nbd. That, plus your actions on this mailinglist mean you've
> been annoying me enough to be punished for it.
>
> Consider yourself a committer ;-)

Thanks for that!

I will on this basis congratulate myself on being so annoying ;-)

> (I'll also add you to the sourceforge project if you have an account
> there and tell me what it is...)

Unoriginally enough, abligh. Not that I have anything on sourceforge
now and I didn't know there was still any NBD stuff there still to be
honest, but I now find a website. I was going to put up a list of
nbd clients/server somewhere, so that sounds like a good place.

--
Alex Bligh