Re: [Nbd] Question About nbd-server and Raid

On Sun, Feb 08, 2015 at 03:20:30PM -0800, Wayne E. Harlan wrote:
> I have been using nbd for almost a year to export a set of scripts I use
> to two other linux boxes.  For most of that time the exported partition
> was /dev/sdb3, as in this config:
>
> # Network Block Device Export Config File
> [generic]
>      listenaddr = <my ip address>
>      allowlist = true
>      authfile = /etc/nbd-server/allow
>
> [lfs]
>      exportname = /dev/sdb3
>      maxconnections=3
>      transactionlog = /var/log/nbd0
>
> Recently I migrated the files on sdb3 to a mirrored raid partition,
> /dev/md127p2.  The mirrored array was formed as whole disk and then the
> array was partitioned.  No problem mounting the partition locally, but
> when I changed the exportname as exportname = /dev/md127p2, nbd-server
> would not export it.  It barfed, with a message about "no valid
> exportnames".

Wut?

> Then, on a total whim, I made a link in /dev like:  ln -s md127p2 lfs,
> and then using exportname = /dev/lfs somehow allowed the nbd-server to
> export the mirrored partition.
>
> Is it the characters in the name or the length of the name, or what ?

I have never seen that message, and have no clue where it's coming from.
Can you post the exact error message, and an example config file that
reproduces it?

--
It is easy to love a country that is famous for chocolate and beer

  -- Barack Obama, speaking in Brussels, Belgium, 2014-03-26