[Nbd] Question About nbd-server and Raid

I have been using nbd for almost a year to export a set of scripts I use to two other linux boxes. For most of that time the exported partition was /dev/sdb3, as in this config:

# Network Block Device Export Config File
[generic]
    listenaddr = <my ip address>
    allowlist = true
    authfile = /etc/nbd-server/allow

[lfs]
    exportname = /dev/sdb3
    maxconnections=3
    transactionlog = /var/log/nbd0

Recently I migrated the files on sdb3 to a mirrored raid partition, /dev/md127p2. The mirrored array was formed as whole disk and then the array was partitioned. No problem mounting the partition locally, but when I changed the exportname as exportname = /dev/md127p2, nbd-server would not export it. It barfed, with a message about "no valid exportnames".

Then, on a total whim, I made a link in /dev like: ln -s md127p2 lfs, and then using exportname = /dev/lfs somehow allowed the nbd-server to export the mirrored partition.

Is it the characters in the name or the length of the name, or what ?

Thanks,

Wayne