Re: [Nbd] nbd timeout on debian jessie (Was: Re: oops with timeout option on debian wheezy kernel)

Hello Michal,

On Tue, Nov 18, 2014 at 11:05:49AM +0100, Michal Belczyk wrote:
> > > This is the version rebased against the current tip, completely
> > > untested.
> Let me attach the corrected version of the patch.

Tested now on a virtual and real amd64 machine - "nbd-client -timeout 5"
works when cutting the network. So you can add:

Tested-By: Hermann.Lauer@...1489...

> > Why did this bugfix not made his way upstream (especially as this timeout issue is a blocker for mirroring) ?
>
> No idea, maybe the way timeouts are handled currently is good enough for
> most use cases...

Without that timeouts are in the range of 15 Minutes (including some cpu stall kernel messages) - which is
unacceptable. "ls" on the fs on the raid1 or "cat /proc/mdstats" stay in state "D" during that time.

Thanks again and greetings
 Hermann

PS: Filed your patch as https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=770479

--
Netzwerkadministration/Zentrale Dienste, Interdiziplinaeres
Zentrum fuer wissenschaftliches Rechnen der Universitaet Heidelberg