Re: [Nbd] nbd-client can't connect to named export from initramfs

On Sat, Mar 17, 2012 at 09:45:39PM +0100, Wim Muskee wrote:
> I'm experiencing an odd nbd-client problem, I can't connect to a named
> export from inside an initramfs.
>
> On the server runs nbd-server (3.0) as a service, the
> /etc/nbd-server/config is as follows:
> [generic]
> [ltsp]
> exportname = /opt/ltsp-images/ltsp-dev-i686.img
> virtstyle = none
>
> The client initramfs contains an nbd-client from a nbd-3.0 install. It
> uses the 3.0.6 kernel (x86). The command it uses is:
> nbd-client 192.168.0.1 -N ltsp /dev/nbd0
>
> When it tries to connect, something fails in the negotiation:
> nbd: registrered device at major 43
> Negotiation: ..size= 4229768MBError: Exported device is too big for

That claims it's a 4TiB export. That can't be right.

What's the actual size of the file you're trying to export?

> me. Get 64-bit machine :-(
>
> When I boot the client normally, I can do the same command, and
> connect to the image without problems.

That's even stranger. I'd think that if it doesn't work in initramfs, it
wouldn't work in the normal system, either.

Which distribution is this?

> Also, when I run an export from the commandline like:
> nbd-server 2000 /opt/ltsp-images/ltsp-dev-i686.img
>
> The connection works, the following command was used:
> nbd-client 192.168.0.1 2000 /dev/nbd0
>
> Is this an NBD problem, or an initramfs problem?

Not sure yet.

the following formula:

pi zz a