Re: [Nbd] RFC: tests too slow?

On Mon, Jun 06, 2011 at 05:51:02PM +0100, Alex Bligh wrote:
> I had not before about 5 minutes ago run "make check" on a machine with
> a real spinning hard disk (as opposed to an SSD). Lesson for today,
> my Macbook Air running VMware with an SSD runs nbd-server far faster
> than a "server" with a normal disk.
>
> "make check" now takes a little while to run, mainly because of the
> presence of flush & fua I think, which affects rotational media far
> more than others.

Presumably.

> This is only going to be used by people developing, and the integrity
> tests are in my opinion useful. Do they now take so long they are
> a pain? IE should I cut them down a bit?

No, that's fine. I had noticed that they took longer, too, but I'm
actually happy that we're getting more testing. Removing tests never
sounds like a particularly bright idea :-)

As long as the tests don't start taking hours, we'll be fine. A few
minutes isn't a big issue.

the following formula:

pi zz a