Re: [Nbd] USB disk from Xen host to Xen VM

On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 04:16:09PM +0200, Thomas Karcher wrote:
> Hi Wouter,
>
> > > Jun 10 22:05:44 lukas kernel: nbd0: Receive control failed (result -32)
> > Looks like nbd-server hit an error of which the literal value of errno
> > is 32. Since errno values are architecture-specific, could you tell me
> > on what architecture nbd-server is running?
>
> It's OpenSuSE 10.3 on a dual core machine:
> tk@...195...:~> uname -a
> Linux SBO01 2.6.22.17-0.1-xen #1 SMP 2008/02/10 20:01:04 UTC x86_64
> x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>
> Can I provide the error message from the code somehow? Does it come from
> the kernel?
>
> ==
>
> Meanwhile, I found a workaround: When starting nbd-server _without_
> config file but with command line parameters _instead_, it works ... so
> is this perhaps more a SuSE-related issue?

Ah, no -- there was a little bug in nbd-server a while back, where the
config file parser was broken, due to an off-by-one error. It just so
happens that on powerpc (where I do most of my development) the bug
didn't show up unless you used that particular option (which "make
check" doesn't hit). That has since been fixed, but 2.9.5 still has it.

List: if anyone feels compelled to extend that "simple_test" script into
a full-blown test suite that would not only test *every* feature of
nbd-server, including such things as the inetd mode etc, but also be
highly extensible, I would, uh, be eternally grateful, and owe you a
beer. Or something.

  -- #debian-devel, Freenode, 2004-09-22