[Nbd] USB disk from Xen host to Xen VM

Hi folks,

I'd like to do backups from inside a Xen VM that is in a heartbeat
cluster, i. e. I have two physical servers with a DRBD link and a Xen VM
that is managed via heartbeat. Everything is OpenSuSE 10.3.

The backup shall be done to a USB disk that is physically connected to
one of the physical servers, but shall be disconnectable during runtime.
So I decided to use NBD to "link" the USB device on one server inside
the VM and mount the USB-NBD disk in the VM. After a couple of seconds
after successfully connecting, I get inside the VM:

Jun 10 22:05:44 lukas kernel: nbd0: Receive control failed (result -32)
Jun 10 22:05:44 lukas kernel: nbd0: shutting down socket
Jun 10 22:05:44 lukas kernel: nbd0: queue cleared

... and the NBD device is gone ...

With option "-persist", it isn't really a solution because this happens
a couple of times per minute ...

Is there any reason I shouldn't do it the way I do it?

The server:
P1:~# nbd-server 12345 /dev/sdd1

The VM:
lukas:~# nbd-client P1 12345 /dev/nbd0 -persist

NBD version 2.9.5 from OpenSuSE 10.3.

Thank you,
Thomas