Re: [Nbd] NBD wishlist items?

Wouter Verhelst wrote:
On Tue, Jun 26, 2007 at 11:18:27AM -0400, Paul Clements wrote:

I mean, it's really the client that cares if the connection goes down.
The server ought to be happy to just sit there -- if it's not getting
any requests, it shouldn't matter.

If it's sitting on resources, however, that could end up being a
problem. And, really, it's silly to have a server sitting on resources
if the client doesn't need it anymore.

Well, if the client doesn't need the server anymore, it should tell the server and the server will quit. But even if it doesn't (crash/reboot), the server will still go away when TCP times out.

The reason to have the client die more quickly is presumably so that I/O doesn't hang and so that we can do something intelligent to fix it (e.g., redirect I/O elsewhere).

--
Paul