Re: [Nbd] NBD disconnect retry question

----- Original Message -----
From: "Wouter Verhelst" <wouter@...3...>
To: "JaniD++" <djani22@...60...>
Cc: <nbd-general@lists.sourceforge.net>
Sent: Friday, March 31, 2006 1:38 AM
Subject: Re: [Nbd] NBD disconnect retry question

On Thu, Mar 30, 2006 at 03:22:39PM +0200, JaniD++ wrote:
> > Hello, list,
> >
> > Can comebody write me a little patch to the client, to newer give up and
can
> > resume the connection on some packet lost?
> > I mean exactly the same as nfs "hard" option, to avoid these messages:
> >
> > nbd3: Attempted send on closed socket
> > end_request: I/O error, dev nbd3, sector 66961896
> > I/O error in filesystem ("md31") meta-data dev md31 block 0xff707b0
> > ("xfs_trans_read_buf") error 5 buf count 8192
> >
> > My 8TB raid is too much often crashes, and any type of script is too
slow to
> > resume (reconnect) the nbd-client automatically...
>
> I've just committed a modified nbd-client to the subversion trunk. With
> that nbd-client running in a qemu machine and an nbd-server on the host,
> I was running 'mkfs -t ext2 /dev/nb0' when I killed the nbd-server that
> was serving for that box. It reconnected immediately, and mkfs was not
> interrupted (at least, it did not seem to be). There were /some/ read
> errors, but not a lot of them.

> This is probably the fastest it's going to be without kernel patches.

This idea looks like much better...
I have already ony script that can automatically kill, and restart the nbd
server thanks to nfs. :-)
Anyway mkfs is an "easy task", on my system the nbd server some times about
1000 downloaders.
If mkfs gets "some" read errors, i think, my raid0 will get a lot of read
errors...
Fortunately i use raid0, and this is not error sensitive, only the xfs can
force shotdown the mount pont, but if i should use raid5 or 1 i will going
crazy if it starts to resync 2TB trough the network! :-)

Anyway, i will try it, until i found better solution...

> If you want to try it out, get the code from subversion as explained on
> the sourceforge.net website. Note, only use the client from subversion
> trunk -- the server is pretty broken at the moment. You need to run it
> with the -persist option for the automatic reconnect to succeed; and if
> you want to disconnect, you may have to run 'killall nbd-client'
> _before_ doing the nbd-client -d (will depend on your kernel).

OK, but i newer want to disconnect at all! :-)

Thanks a lot!

Janos

--
Fun will now commence

 _____________ NOD32 1.584 (20031220) Információ _____________

Az üzenetet a NOD32 Antivirus System megvizsgálta.
http://www.nod32.hu