Re: [Nbd] password?

At 1:18 AM +0200 8/15/05, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
On Fri, Aug 12, 2005 at 09:11:19PM -0700, Charles Landau wrote:
 I'm trying to get nbd running. On the server computer, I downloaded,
 built, and installed nbd. I ran:

 nbd-server 1077 /dev/hda5

 pointing it at an unused partition. There is no nbd_server.allow file.

 On the client computer, I downloaded, built, and installed nbd. I ran:

 insmod /lib/modules/*/kernel/drivers/block/nbd.ko
 mknod /dev/nd0 b 43 0
 nbd-client 192.168.0.31 1077 /dev/nd0

 I get the following message on the client over and over:

 Error: Connect: Connection refused
 > error: Error reading initial password, aborting: Transport endpoint
 is not connected

 What am I missing? I can find no documentation on how to set this up
 other than the man pages, and they say nothing about a password.

Correct; there is no actual password. The "initial password" is just a
magic value that is part of the protocol.

The problem really is the line above ("Connection refused"); apparently,
your client cannot connect to the server for some reason. Are you
running a firewall?

To simplify the debugging, I installed on the server computer a fresh Fedora Core 2 with no firewall and started over. I am able to ssh to the server computer, so I think there is indeed no firewall.

Now, I get just:
Error: Error reading initial password, aborting.

(no "Connection refused") Any ideas?