[Nbd] password?

I'm trying to get nbd running. On the server computer, I downloaded, built, and installed nbd. I ran:

nbd-server 1077 /dev/hda5

pointing it at an unused partition. There is no nbd_server.allow file.

On the client computer, I downloaded, built, and installed nbd. I ran:

insmod /lib/modules/*/kernel/drivers/block/nbd.ko
mknod /dev/nd0 b 43 0
nbd-client 192.168.0.31 1077 /dev/nd0

I get the following message on the client over and over:

Error: Connect: Connection refused
error: Error reading initial password, aborting: Transport endpoint is not connected

What am I missing? I can find no documentation on how to set this up other than the man pages, and they say nothing about a password.