Re: [Nbd] [ANNOUNCE] Portable NBD server

On Sat, Jul 17, 2004 at 03:06:13PM -0500, Andy Isaacson wrote:
> Well, how do you compile it?  Apparently you have to go get nbd.h out of
> a Linux kernel tree,

Yes. Put it in your nbd source tree to compile.

> and have an environment that defines _IO()...

Umm. Right. Obviously, sorry.

> I have managed now, but originally I was discouraged because I was
> misled by my quick reading of nbd.h.
>
> On Thu, Jul 15, 2004 at 09:16:54PM +0200, Pavel Machek wrote:
> > > The NBD server in nbd-2.7.1 from nbd.sourceforge.net doesn't compile on
> > > non-Linux hosts, even though the server doesn't do anything inherently
> > > nonportable.  So I wrote a new one that should work fine on any POSIX
> > > host with 'long long'.
> > >
> > > I've successfully used it to recover log data on a dirty ext3 filesystem
> > > that ended up in an OpenBSD box.
> > >
> > > I hope this proves useful to someone.
> >
> > Well, you should have fixed the bugs and submit a patch, not
> > start your own branch...
>
> I agree, if the only reason I were doing this were to serve NBD from
> non-Linux hosts, then writing a new server would be dumb.  However:
>
> 1. I'm planning to go a radically different direction with mine, so it's
> unlikely the patches would be (or should be!) accepted.

You didn't even ask.

I fully agree that nbd-server needs quite a lot of work, and have
outlined what I plan to do with it[0]. Maybe your ideas aren't even far
from mine, in which case help (patches, ideas, suggestions, ...) would
be welcome. Forks aren't, though, because they tend to discourage
cooperation rather than encourage it. And hey, if you already saw what I
plan to do but think I'm braindead, tell me about it.

[0] http://nbd.sf.net/roadmap.html

--
         EARTH
     smog  |   bricks