Re: A Debian question

Tom Allison writes...

> I was looking at:
> http://www.freestandards.org/lsb/test/results/index.php?group_by_distro=summa
> ry
>
> And found that the "score" for Debian was higher then SusE 7.3
> Would you have the score available for the Suse 8.0 which is
> posted as certified?

Did you read the disclaimer at the top? That page is used for those
developing the test suites. In addition, those results are old and should
probably be removed. They're not related to the certification results.

IIRC the actual certification results are not published in order to prevent
competitors from getting into a pissing contest about who's *more* compliant.

Each distribution that passes certification has either passed or received an
exception(rare) for each of the tests.

> Also, is there any allowance for deb packages versus rpm packages?
>   Aren't you kind of pushing things into a single style of
> distribution without allowing for others to acheive the same
> objectives using different methods?

rpm has been selected as the lsb package *format* not the LSB package
*infrastructure*, which is a big difference. Debian can handle installing
rpms just fine.

There's an "Future package format investigation team" looking at what the
right answer is for the future, but I don't think they've been very active
lately since everyone is focused on making the spec and certification real.

rpm is fine for now as a package format. Many others share your concerns
about what to use in the future.

--
Matt Taggart
taggart@debian.org