Re: Recent fix proposals

hi Mats,all,

I would suggest holding off submitting a PR for a bit longer pending
some further investigations..

My initial reaction was that I have a problem with machine specific
fixes, and would prefer to see a portable fix.  I have forwarded the issues
to my engineers to look at, since similar code is used in several
test suites we maintain.

I then decided to look at this specific test code and see where the same
strategy is used elsewhere. I found that its used in one of the UNIX
certification test suites, and that all UNIX certified systems are
executing this code without the cited problems, including several 64-bit
implementations (inc LP64 systems).

So initial thoughts at the moment are that I would
not want to accept these changes as is. I'll get a response from
my engineers later in the week.  I'll also discuss it in a couple
of other forums I maintain to see what folks come up with.

regards
Andrew

(btw if memory serves I think some of the UNIX system ports to itanium are
handling this issue in the compiler to preserve compatibility)