Re: /tset/LSB.fhs/root/bin/bin-tc 45 failure - /bin/ping

Matt,

Are you aware that practically every security alert for Linux recommends
that the suid bit be turned off in ping because of security exploits?

The LSB test simply says its wrong to have suid turned off; but that is
clearly an option of any sensible system administrator.

For a non-networked, home user, it wont matter; but the LSB has to take
into account the many different security requirements of a Linux
installation.

Dont you think its a bit ridiculous to specify in the LSB that you
*must* have the suid bit turned on?

Ken Burrell
linux.support@mscsoftware.com

--
Ken Burrell		High Performance Computing
Project Manager, R&D	MSC.Software Corporation