RE: [Fwd: XV license]

> > Is there some reason not to replace it with a "free"
> > program, like the Gimp?
>
> Well we should be adding lots of stuff to the application
> battery. Adding
> the Gimp would be great but a lot of work due to the huge list of
> dependencies.  No one has gotten around to it yet. If anyone wants to
> volunteer work on gimp that would be great.

I've built the Gimp in LSB mode.  It's a very large undertaking,
and one we're not ready to use for testing until some of those
dependencies make it into the LSB - packaging up the result would
just be too messy. Several are under consideration for LSB 1.3,
which was actually the reason for the exercise.

[[Details: the current version of the Gimp, aligned with gtk2,
requires glib2, gtk+2, pango, atk, freetype, libtiff, jpeg, libart
(plus I think one or two others I'm forgetting), and needs
pkgconfig to build, none of which are in the LSB.  Gimp should
make a wonderful addition to the application battery - in 2003 ]]

> I think xv was picked because it was a non-free application with few
> dependencies which provides a simple propriatary ISV
> application example.
> Maybe it was a poor choice...

Probably if you changed "non-free" to "X" this would be
accurate - I'm sure it was not picked because it was
non-free, but rather because it's widely available in
source and might thus have been assumed to be free.  We
needed an app that used the X Window System and the previous
choice (Mozilla) had too many dependencies to be buildable,
so this was a quick alternate choice.

Any suggestions for a program which fits the following
informal criteria would be welcome:

- uses a reasonable chunk of the X libraries that are
  included in the LSB so that the libraries and header
  files have coverage in this part of the test program
- is available to be used for the testing purpose without
  special licensing
- does not have multiple non-LSB dependencies
- is "testable" in the sense that it's reasonable to
  determine whether it actually works correctly on the
  system under test ("it came up" may not be quite enough
  of a test)

I'm wondering if there's a GL program that fits the
bill as we won't have any coverage there otherwise.