Re: usersgroups - passwd functionality

Hi Stew,

Stew Benedict writes:

> The usersgroups implentation of "passwd", while inline with the LSB spec,
> does not seem to correspond to any version of the application that I'm
> able to find.  On RedHat based systems, with shadow and pam, some of the
> specified functionality is performed by the commands "chage" and
> "gpasswd".

Which specific testcases are you seeing problems with?  (btw I think
that passwd just execs gpasswd for some functionality - which is still
a valid implementation, just applications won't call gpasswd directly)

> Is it expected that "paaswd" be re-written to conform to the spec, or can
> someone point me to source of a compliant version?

The spec was written based on the shadow package source. I don't
remember the exact site it came from, but could be one of the
following:

ftp://piast.t19.ds.pwr.wroc.pl/pub/linux/shadow/
ftp://ftp.ists.pwr.wroc.pl/pub/linux/shadow/
http://www.itnet.pl/amelektr/linux/shadow/

The spec actually requires a subset of the functionality listed in the
man page (but providing more is ok as long as it doesn't contradict
the spec).

Regards,

Chris.
--