usersgroups - passwd functionality

The usersgroups implentation of "passwd", while inline with the LSB spec,
does not seem to correspond to any version of the application that I'm
able to find.  On RedHat based systems, with shadow and pam, some of the
specified functionality is performed by the commands "chage" and
"gpasswd".

Is it expected that "paaswd" be re-written to conform to the spec, or can
someone point me to source of a compliant version?

I have actually modified the current passwd code to perform the "aging"
functions, but I'm not getting the expected result.

Thanks,
Stew Benedict