Re: shells present on an LSB system

> > I think the right thing is to specify something like this:
> >
> > /bin/sh		MUST be present; SHALL be POSIX.2 conforming
> > 		Shells specifically approved include: bash, ksh, ash?
>
> I wonder if any shell other than bash will completely work in most
> distributions as /bin/sh.

This got discussed in Atlanta. There is a strong feeling /bin/sh shouldnt
be posix guaranteed (since only bash 2 and the commercial ksh are). Also
a lot of people like something small and fast running their default
scripts.

Suggestions included having a /bin/lsbsh for a shell that meets the
lsb specific definitions

> > /bin/csh	IF present, MUST be compatible (bugs excepted) with
> > 		the BSD C-shell.  tcsh is specifically allowed.

Which BSD C-shell. The bugs vary by variant in very bad ways. Also
tcsh as csh shouldnt be acceptable. The quoting rules are different
and it causes security holes in things like metamail

> > /bin/ksh	IF present, MUST match the Korn Shell specification
> > 		pdksh and ksh93 are specifically allowed.
>
> Is pdksh completely compatible with the original ksh?

no

> > /bin/bash	IF present, MUST be the Bourne Again Shell from the
> > 		Free Software Foundation or a fully compatible
> > 		program.

v1 or v2 ?

> > /bin/tcsh	IF present, MUST be tcsh 6 or later from Cornell
> > 		University or a fully compatible program.

Ok

Alan