Re: LSB Users & Groups

On Fri, Feb 22, 2002 at 06:43:12PM +0100, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> Previously George Kraft IV wrote:
> > The thought was that some applications (and/or shell scripts)
> > could/would fail if root.root, bin.bin, and daemon.daemon did not
> > exist on a system
>
> That doesn't answer my question though. There is no (documented or
> otherwise) reason for bin and daemon existing. Nobody seems to know
> what to use them for and I haven't ever seen anything that uses them.

Actually, on my debian unstable system here:

daemon     111  0.0  0.3  1416  464 ?        S    08:21   0:00 /sbin/portmap
daemon     290  0.0  0.4  1420  608 ?        S    08:21   0:00 /usr/sbin/atd

So they are used and we can't summarily remove them. These could be shunted
to another user, but which one? They *are* daemons.

--
Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog@svana.org>
http://svana.org/kleptog/