Re: LSB1.1: /proc/cpuinfo

Theodore Tso <tytso@mit.edu> writes:

> On Fri, Jan 04, 2002 at 02:03:48AM +0100, Joerg Schilling wrote:
> > Right now, when I am forced to make binary only versions of programs
> > like e.g. the the Plextor firmware upgrade program, I can only do it
> > for libc.so.5 and for glibc-2.2. Anything in between gives problems.
>
> Why don't you just link your binary-only program statically?  If you
> do that, then it is entirely irrelevant which libc is installed on the
> system, and core kernel backwards compatibility has been quite good,
> actually.

If he wants to link to any LGPLed library like glibc he would need
to ship object files in this case, allowing a relink. Otherwise it would
violate the LGPL.

Also glibc needs to be rebuilt to be able to link completely statically;
by default it always loads the name service modules dynamically.

-Andi