Re: URGENT [PROPOSAL] V3: lsb lib and lsb loader location (also IA64)

On Thu, Jun 21, 2001 at 05:59:26PM +0200, Johannes Poehlmann wrote:
> PROPOSAL [V3]: lsb library and lsb loader location (also IA64)
>           Version 3 is changed due to input from George and Doug.
> 	Runtime libraries can not live in /usr, because they could be needed
> 	before /usr is mounted at system startup. This has been taken in
> 	question by Thomas Sippel.
>
> 	My answer is that we want not set arbitrary limits to
> 	LSB applications and LSB systems. Ok, on System X /usr is mounted
> 	early enough, but do we want to enforce this system behaviour ?

i think thomas meant something else.
he argued that everything that is specificly needed for bootup should
be seperated and unless a library is designed to be used in the bootup
process it should always go into /usr

"could be needed" is not good enough for that.

my personal take on the subject is, that / and /usr/ should
be interchangeable. don't force me to put stuff into / just because
your system needs it (and vice versa).

for the linker it should not make a difference anyways.
so why hardcode it at all?

greetings, martin.
--
by the end of 2001 i'd like to find a new job anywhere in the world, doing
pike development and/or training and/or unix and roxen system administration.