Re: appchk/libc functions

On Wed, 11 Apr 2001, Dave Prosser wrote:

> It's one of the "new" sections added for IA-64.  The s stands for
> "short".  There's also .sdata, .sdata1, and so on.  It's helpful for
> this architecture as there is a substantial cut off in register+offset
> addressing at around 22-24 bits, which is clearly much smaller than
> the full 64 bit general addressing.

I figured it was something like that, but he is seeing it on an IA32 system.

> But, why does appchk care what names are used for ELF sections?

They are listed in the specs, so it checks. What does the linker/loader do
with a section, if it doesn't recognize it?

> It's the attributes that are most important, since they are what's
> used to determine how allocated sections are merged into segments.

I'm still waiting for the coffee to kick in, but do the attributes alone
fully define the semantics of a section? IF I'm thinking of the right thing,
the attributes aren't unique across sections, so it would somewhat ambiguous
to depend on them alone.

                                Stuart

Stuart R. Anderson                               anderson@metrolink.com

Metro Link Incorporated                          South Carolina Office
5807 North Andrews Way                           129 Secret Cove Drive
Fort Lauderdale, Florida 33309                   Lexington, SC 29072
voice: 954.660.2500                              voice: 803.951.3630
http://www.metrolink.com/                        XFree86 Core Team
Creative Applications Lab Chair - SIGGRAPH 2001