Re: GNU ar vs SUS

On Thu, 5 Apr 2001, Stuart Anderson wrote:

> On Thu, 5 Apr 2001, Dale Scheetz wrote:
>
> > Is q==r just another "difference" to be listed along with N?
>
> Hi Dale!
> 	Yes, I think it is just another difference to document.

Thanks Stuart! This will help with other options like -l, but I have done
a bit of experimenting because it dawned on me that if -q actually works
like -r then there would be no way to enter duplicate members into the
archives. The results of my little experiment seems to imply that the GNU
documentation lies.

dwarf:/mnt/a/7# ar -qc tstar sam.txt
dwarf:/mnt/a/7# ar -q tstar fred.txt
dwarf:/mnt/a/7# ar -q tstar sam.txt
dwarf:/mnt/a/7# ar -t tstar
sam.txt
fred.txt
sam.txt
dwarf:/mnt/a/7# rm tstar
dwarf:/mnt/a/7# ar -rc tstar sam.txt
dwarf:/mnt/a/7# ar -r tstar fred.txt
dwarf:/mnt/a/7# ar -r tstar sam.txt
dwarf:/mnt/a/7# ar -t tstar
sam.txt
fred.txt
dwarf:/mnt/a/7#

This is at least proof that the -q otpion is not implimented as -r. It
doesn't answer the question of whether the index is updated by -q.

Should I make anything of this in the spec?

Waiting is,

Dwarf
--
_-_-_-_-_-   Author of "Dwarf's Guide to Debian GNU/Linux"  _-_-_-_-_-_-